Monday 25 June 2018

Five Years From Now by Paige Toon

The Blurb

"What if you met the right person at the wrong time?

Nell and Van meet as children when their parents fall in love, but soon they are forced worlds apart.

Five years later, they find each other.  Their bond is rekindled and new feelings take hold, but once again they must separate.

For the next two decades, fate brings Nell and Van together every five years, as life and circumstance continue to divide them. Will they ever find true happiness? And will it be together?

‘One day, maybe five years from now, you’ll look back and understand why this happened…’ "

Kindle Edition400 pages
Published May 17th 2018 by Simon & Schuster UK


My Review

This is such a fantastic book! I have been a fan of Paige Toon for a long time but I think this is one of her best books yet. I read it in one sitting and I have no regrets about dedicating my entire Sunday to it.

We meet Nell and Vian/Van when they are five years old and after a bumpy start they are soon best friends, exploring the Cornish countryside, having boating adventures and encouraging and supporting each other.

Following some tragic circumstances they are separated and don't meet again for five years and such a lot has changed for them in that time. The story follows them as they get older and life brings them together and apart again through mistakes, misunderstandings and factors beyond their control.

I loved Nell and Van's characters, they were so different and yet fit together so well. I was rooting for them the whole way through. I also loved Nell's relationship with her Dad and with her group of friends. The surfing exploits were also entertaining to read.

The story was enhanced by beautiful descriptions of the Cornish setting, which helped to create a magical childhood setting for Nell and Van, and a romantic atmosphere later in the book.

Five Years From Now is a sweet, funny, romantic and heartbreaking read. Paige Toon's writing feels so natural that all of the characters feel real. A well deserved 5 out of 5 from me. 


The Author - in her own words

I was born in 1975 and my dad’s career as a racing driver meant that I grew up between Australia, England and America. I worked at heat magazine for eight years as Reviews Editor, but left to have a baby. I’m now a full-time author and freelance journalist. I live in North London with my husband Greg, son Indy and daughter Idha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)