Saturday 5 January 2013

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Paperback, 215 pages
Published May 24th 2012 by Headline (first published January 2nd 2012)
ISBN 0755384032 (ISBN13: 9780755384037)

"Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn’t forgotten the book. Or if there hadn’t been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn’t fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she’d run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?

Hadley isn’t sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it’s the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...

Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it."

Having read loads of really positive reviews about this book I was expecting to really enjoy it. Unfortunately, this book just didn't seem to click with me. I didn't notice any sort of amazing connection between Hadley and Oliver, perhaps because their time together on the plane only seems to take up a few chapters. I think including more of their conversations on the plane might have made the romance more believable. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I can't comment too much more on their time together, but I did like their honesty with each other in the rest of the story.

Hadley's character also annoyed me a bit as she was really self-involved and didn't seem to consider anyone else's perspective. However, I did like how her difficult relationship with her Dad was resolved, those scenes were the most emotional in the book for me.

It's a sign that I didn't really enjoy it that it took me so long to read - it's a really short book but I didn't finish it for nearly a week. I wasn't that interested in finding out what happened. I would probably give it 4 out of 10 - it was a good idea, it just didn't really work for me. Did anyone else find that?

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award so check it out!

    http://bookaholiccorner.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-want-to-thank-melanie-from.html

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think :)